Recognizing faculty whose creative accomplishments help fulfill the land-grant mission of addressing state and national needs through teaching, research, and extension.
The Andy Swiger Land-Grant Award is made possible by an endowment established in honor of former Dean Andy Swiger. The award includes $2,000, plus an additional $2,000 in operating funds for the winner.
All full- and part-time, regular and restricted appointments, academic- and calendar-year faculty with teaching, research, or Extension appointments (including Extension agents) in the college are eligible.
A committee of faculty and agribusiness representatives will review nominations and recommend a winner to the dean. The winner will be selected based on his or her creative accomplishments.
The nomination letter should be no more than five (5) pages and include a:
- Description of the nominee’s activities that emphasizes creative accomplishments in applied or basic research, teaching, and Extension.
- Description of the impact that the nominee has made toward solving practical problems and how this impact has enhanced production and profit in the industry.
- Clear identification of the time period and who has benefited from the nominee's accomplishments.
- A copy of the nominee’s CV that includes a short summary of the nominee’s education, experience, and responsibilities.
Colleagues, department heads, staff, or members of the community who are familiar with the nominee's work are encouraged to submit nomination letters. You can resubmit an updated nomination letter for a previous year's nominee.
Nominations for the Award
- A certificate will be presented to the selected individuals either at the annual meeting of the CALS Dean or during another appropriate ceremony organized to recognize the accomplishments of CALS faculty.
- Each nominee will be considered by the award committee for two additional years, if not selected the first year of consideration, for a total of three years.
- Send nomination letters and direct questions to Robin Williams, Federal Projects Manager and Administrative Assistant.
Links for Faculty and Staff
- Office of Communications and Marketing
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (CALS IT)
- Faculty and Staff Leave System
- Office of Emergency Management
- Bursar's Office
- Office of Budget and Financial Planning
- Controller's Office
- Virginia Tech Foundation
- Parking Services
- VCE Common Ground