Grants Coordinator, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Nancy Dudek has been the grants coordinator for the college since April 2012. She assists faculty members with grant proposals of $300,000 or higher.
The following lists Dudek’s specific tasks.
Identifies Funding Opportunities
- Seeks out and identifies funding opportunities.
- Gathers resources and compiles a knowledgebase for a specific proposal.
Facilitates Professional Collaboration
- Stimulates the formation of research teams by fostering social and professional links among researchers at Virginia Tech and other institutions.
- Encourages faculty members to apply for opportunities by organizing team meetings and communications in advance of proposal deadlines.
- Reviews requests for proposals and makes the team aware of key details.
- Establishes regular team meetings and encourages a high attendance rate.
- Serves as liaison with the office of sponsored programs.
- Composes a ‘lessons learned’ report.
Proposal Development and Preparation
- Coordinates an internal review team to strengthen the proposal.
- Establishes a development timeline for the team.
- Composes and distributes task lists.
- Develops budgets for the proposal.
- Provides editorial feedback.
- Assists with graphics.
- Collects and compiles cost sharing documents, letters of support and letters of commitment, current/pending statements and biographies.
- Completes forms and routes for signatures.
- Submits full proposal.
Nancy has a master of science in zoology and spent ten years as a lab researcher in life sciences. She has conducted genome mapping, and conducted gene expression experiments. She also worked with plants, mice, and worms to study diseases.
She has managed grants at the University of California, Berkeley, and at the Child and Family Research Institute at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- (540) 231-2450
303 Latham Hall, Virginia Tech (MC#0390)
220 Ag Quad Lane
Blacksburg, VA 24061
- Fax: (540) 231-4163