CALS HR strives to build strong partnerships among all levels of personnel and can offer:
- Consultation regarding policies and the standards of conduct
- Strategic planning, risk management, compensation and classification
- Coaching and feedback through various work situations
- Various training opportunities, from performance management to the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Conflict Resolution and team-building facilitation
We can help employees and supervisors with resources and information regarding:
- Employee compensation and benefits
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- University ADA office
- Leadership and Professional Development
- CALS Staff Performance Planning Informational Letter
- CALS Performance Planning Checklist
- Performance Evaluation Rating Definitions
- Performance Evaluation Checklist for Employees (PDF | 262KB)
- Performance Evaluation Checklist for Supervisors (PDF | 285KB)
- Performance Evaluation Timeline Information (PDF | 336KB)
Depending on the reasons an employee believes that he or she is unable to meet job expectations, there are likely options and possibly benefits available to help employees in this situation. Please contact us in CALS HR to begin working through a problem like this.
If you know that your question regards your benefits as a state employee, please call the Benefits & Wellness department in Central Human Resources by calling 540-231-9331.
Gather a list of duties and responsibilities that a new person would be tasked with, the educational and professional requirements that will be expected, and determine how many hours per week this person will be needed. Next, contact us in CALS Human Resources to discuss the next steps.
- The Department of Human Resources Management’s Human Resources Policies are provided online.
- Virginia Tech’s Policies and Handbooks for Employees are available online.
- For policy clarification and help in interpreting or applying any of Virginia Tech’s or the Commonwealth’s policies, please contact April Lucas or Mary Christian in CALS HR.
You may contact one of our CALS HR staff by calling 540-231-7619.
|Name||Title||Contact information||Concentration area|
|Faculty issues, workforce planning, compensation, training opportunities|
|April L. Wood||Human Resources Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org
|Staff issues, performance management and employee relations, training opportunities|
|Karen Barnhart||Human Resources Assistantemail@example.com
|Staffing, recruiting, wage payroll for college departments and ARECs, federal benefits|
|Lisa Mullins||Human Resources Assistantfirstname.lastname@example.org
|Staffing and recruiting for Extension, records management|
|Linda Alumbaugh||Human Resources Assistantemail@example.com
|Staffing and recruiting, Family Nutrition Program, opening of college positions|
Types of Employment
- TimeClock Plus Training
- Employee Disciplinary Issues
- Please start by contacting April Lucas Wood, Human Resources Manager, at 540-231-3003.
- Performance Plans/Evaluations
- Hours of Work, Overtime, FLSA
- Hiring a New Employee
- Where do I start?
- Policies and Handbooks for Employees
HR Let’s Not Crash Course: Training Blasts
- Open Enrollment
- Faculty and Staff Holidays and Winter Closing Schedule
- VCE Annual Winter Conference
- March 3-5, 2015
- Feb. 2-4, 2016
- Feb. 7-9, 2017
- Feb. 6-8, 2018
- Feb. 5-7, 2019
- Feb. 4-6, 2020
- Feb. 2-4, 2021
- Feb. 1-3, 2022
- Feb. 7-9, 2023
- Feb. 6-8, 2024
- Feb. 4-6, 2025
- Department of Human Resource Management – Policies
- University ADA Services